PRAYERS FOR THE STOLEN
By: Jennifer Clement
Ladydi Garcia Martinez is a girl that lives in a small town in Mexico called Guerrero. Being her or being a girl its not easy where she lives. She has to pretend to be a boy and dress like one. The best thing you can be in Mexico is an ugly girl. If you are seen as a girl you are going to be stolen by the drug traffickers, and nobody who has been taken come back. Her mother the minute Ladydi was born told the whole town that she was a boy to protect her from the kidnappers. She did everything like knock her teeth or put her in a hole with snakes so nobody would enter to this place. One day one of her closest friends Paula was kidnapped and she was the only girl that returned from the kidnapped, but she never specked about it.

"On our mountain only boys were born, and some of them turned into ugly girls who sometimes had to hide in holes in the ground" pg.(4)
When I read this part of the book it made me felt lucky and fortunate about all I have. It made me think of how would I react if a was a girl that had to dress up as a boy to be careful of the kidnappers. I could not resist hiding in a hole full of snakes and scorpions. I think this girl Ladydi and all the girls who hide are really brave.
"Then one day Paula walked back home. she had seven earrings that climbed up the cupped edge of her left ear in a straight line of blue, yellow and green studs and a tattoo that snaked around her wrist with the words cannibal baby" pg.(5)
I wonder what the kidnappers do with the girls, why are they only girls and for what they use them? I also wonder why did Paula came back to Guerrero and how did she returned? Did the kidnappers didn't need her any more or did she escape? Why did she had tattoos and earrings?
I think that in the next's chapters I predict that something is going to happen to Ladydi. I think many of the girls in her community somehow are going to dissapear, and she is going to look after them. But her and the other girls are going to come back but with some sort of problem.
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario